Center for Hard to Recycle Materials
-OPENING FOR THE SEASON-
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 22 • 4:00PM–7:00PM
Providing an outlet for residents to recycle or properly dispose of household hazardous wastes is part of the statutory mandate of a Solid Waste District. Maintaining these services is a high priority for district personnel. CHARM services change year to year with the changing needs of society and the costs involved in providing these services. Please review this information carefully to check on materials collected, costs of recycling or disposal, and dates of operation before loading your vehicle.
Fees apply for some items.
The CHARM service is located at the Logan County Solid Waste District headquarters at 1100 S. Detroit St., in Bellefontaine, Ohio. We are located on the corner of S. Detroit St. and Lake Ave.
Days And Times Of Operation
Open on Wednesdays from 4:00pm–7:00pm
Open on Saturdays from 9:00am–Noon
CHARM Collection Service will accept the following materials:
CHARM will be open rain or shine; it is a drive thru facility under cover. No reservations are necessary. Drive to 1100 S. Detroit St., in Bellefontaine, enter the parking lot and then follow the route to the CHARM building marked with traffic cones on the property. Allow us to unload your vehicle, weigh materials where there is a per pound charge, receive your payment (if any), provide you with a receipt, and you are on your way.
Payments We Accept. You can pay with cash, credit card, or check made out to the Logan County Treasurer.
If you have any questions about materials accepted, or fees, carefully read instructions on this web site or call 599-1253.
Household Hazardous Wastes (HHW) can only be accepted from households by Ohio EPA rule.
No HHW materials can be accepted from small businesses, schools, farm operations, non-profit groups, churches, or governmental agencies. This restriction applies only to HHW materials and not to any other items collected at the CHARM service.
Bring these materials in their original containers. All materials in containers must have labels. Unknown, unlabeled materials will not be accepted.
- Cleaning Products / Chemicals — FEE: $0.25/lb.
- bottled cleaning products, oven cleaners, degreasers, drain cleaners, bleach, ammonia, wood & metal polish, shoe polish, fingernail polish and polish remover, pool chemicals, auto waxes, auto cleaners, moth balls, artists supplies, photographic chemicals, acids, bases, and aerosol spray cans containing items listed above.
- Garden Products — FEE: $0.25/lb.
- fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, plant food, lawn treatments, bug sprays, poisons for ants, rodents, insects, wasps, or arsenic, and aerosol spray cans containing items listed above.
- Health care products — FEE: $0.25/lb.
- Hair treatments and fingernail polish remover accepted. NO PRESCRIPTIONS and NO OVER-THE-COUNTER MEDICATIONS OR PILLS ACCEPTED.
NOTE: All electronics can be taken to the District Office at 1100 S. Detroit Street Monday through Friday, (between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.) year-round. Electronics will also be accepted at CHARM, but there is no reason to wait for a special day, or to wait in line to recycle electronics.
- All televisions & computer monitors accepted for a fee of $10.
- Other Electronics — FEE: No fee
- Accepted: Computers of any kind (lap top or tower), servers, keyboard, mouse, speakers, cables, printer and printer/fax machines, scanners and copiers of any size, UPS and battery backup systems, DVD players, CD and DVD media, floppy discs, all phone equipment, pagers, all stereo equipment, cameras, camcorders, all Palm equipment, video game systems, video games, tape recorders, radios, toasters, microwave ovens, small electric hand tools, vacuum cleaners.
- Fluorescent Lights, Fluorescent tubes up to eight feet, Fluorescent U-tubes, circular tubes, and CFL (compact fluorescent light bulbs) - FEE: $0.30
- Alternative: Lowe’s has a collection box at their entrance to accept CGL bulbs (the spiral light bulbs) free, anytime.
NO AIR CONDITIONERS OF DEHUMIDIFIERS, NOR LARGE APPLIANCES SUCH AS STOVES, REFRIGERATORS, OR HOT WATER HEATERS WILL BE ACCEPTED. IF YOU ARE UNSURE, CALL AHEAD.
- All batteries are accepted from small button batteries, including all regular household flashlight batteries, boat, motorcycle and car batteries, to all rechargeable batteries.
All 9 volt batteries and all rechargeable batteries should have their terminals taped with non-conductive electrical tape to avoid incidental contact resulting in possible fires.
Please bring small batteries in a clear plastic bag or zip-lock bag.
Nine Tires Maximum. Residents may transport up to nine tires per load to the Collection Service Center. Citizens may not transport more than 9 tires without an Ohio transporter's license.
Tires may be on or off rim.
- Misc. small tires — FEE: $1.50 each
- Passenger car — FEE: $2.50 each
- Pick-up truck — FEE: $3.50 each
- Semi-truck — FEE: $9.00 each
- Farm tractor small front wheel — FEE: $5.00 each
- Farm tractor medium rear wheel — FEE: $15.00 each
- Farm tractor very large rear wheel — FEE: $25.00 each
All tires recycled through this service are transported to a shredding operation in Michigan where they are made into useful products.
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE:
The following items can easily be dried out and then disposed of in household trash. They are not hazardous once dried. THESE ITEMS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AT CHARM:
- LATEX (WATER BASED) PAINT (learn how to dispose of safely yourself )
- DRYWALL COMPOUND
- PUTTY & SPACKLING COMPOUND
- ROOFING COMPOUND
- DRIVEWAY SEALANT
These materials can be dried by removing the lid and allowing them to air dry or by mixing with sawdust, cat litter, or ‘floor dry’. The best method is to use all the material on the job with nothing left over but the container. Please check your paint cans before bringing them to CHARM. Empty paint cans and solidified paint in cans can be disposed of in your household trash.
- Oil-Based Paint – FEE: $0.25/lb.
- Oil based paint only, spray paints in cans, stain, varnish, shellac, turpentine, mineral spirits, linseed oil, water sealants.
- Used Motor Oil – FEE: No charge
- Used oil, brake fluid, antifreeze, transmission fluid
Bring each in a separate, closed, leak proof container. Do not drive onto our property with leaking containers. No 55-gallon drums accepted. Call for larger quantity service suggestions.
Please bring in any mercury containing device for proper disposal. Mercury is particularly hazardous to the environment and dangerous to infants, children, and women of child bearing age.
- fever thermometer, candy thermometer, barometer, farm thermometers, mercury switches, mercury-containing batteries
Double bag all mercury devices inside two sealed, clear plastic bags.
Join Our Newsletter!
Keep in touch. We will never share your details with third parties.